Custom Cable from Allied Wire & Cable, the Custom Cable Manufacturer
Does off-the-shelf cable not meet your needs? You have a difficult or unique application, and stock wire and cable won't get the job done? A custom cable from a custom cable manufacturer could be the answer. Whether you need a specialty cable designed specifically for you or alterations made to an existing cable, we can manufacture it for you.
Why Choose Custom Cable?
- Custom-made cable is engineered to your exact specifications with materials and ratings required for optimal performance.
- Since custom cables are built for particular applications and environments, they are equipped with attributes meant to last longer.
- When a custom cable is used, you save money by avoiding system failures and replacement costs.
Allied Wire and Cable is your Custom Cable Expert.
Our experience and knowledge of wire and cable as a renowned custom cable manufacturer guarantees you the ideal custom build for your application. Our experienced sales professionals are with you every step of the way. From concept, to design, to manufacturing, we help with every step of the process. We offer minimums as low as 100 ft, and prototype runs are available with low minimums. We pride ourselves on our short lead times -- get the custom cable you need, fast.
Custom Cable Information and Engineering Resources
At Allied, we are dedicated to providing the best services to our customers. Part of that is making sure everyone is informed of the options available to them. Although you do not need to be a wire and cable expert to order custom cable (that's what we're here for!), we have made a wide range of custom cable articles and engineering resources available.
Custom cable is available from Allied Wire & Cable for those applications where stock cable just won't get the job done right. If this is your first time ordering custom cable from scratch, you can be confident knowing that the Custom Cable Experts at Allied are here to answer questions and help you every step of the way.
If you already have specs or drawings you'd like to submit, or just want to start designing right away, you can head over to our Custom Cable Design Center. If you want to learn more about custom cable and how it could improve your application, you are in the right place!
Custom Cable Basics
Learn all about custom cable and read about popular custom cable topics. The potential of custom made cable is unlimited. See how making the right choices can save you time, money, space, and stress, and improve performance in many applications.
- Custom Cable Articles - Learn all about custom cables in Allied University - our library of informational articles.
- Custom Cable FAQs - Get answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about custom made cable.
- Watch our Custom Cable Video on YouTube
Engineering Resources - Components and Concepts
Designing a custom cable can help with the longevity, installation, maintenance, and quality of your application. With Allied Wire & Cable's custom cable design service, you can get exactly what you need. If you need adjustments made to standard cables or need to design a totally new cable, our custom cable experts can help.
Through our Custom Cable Design Center, you can specify materials for the conductor, insulation and jacket, performance parameters or industry certifications, and if shielding, tape, or armor is needed for extra protection.While our dedicated sales representatives are available to help with every step of the way, designing a custom cable can seem overwhelming. To learn more about custom cable concepts and components, value-added services, and industry requirements, check out our helpful articles below:
- Conductor Materials and Types of Tinning - Learn about conductor materials, tinning, and other coatings.
- Conductor Size - how do conductor sizes work? What are the systems of measurement for conductors? Learn here.
- Conductor Stranding - How do you choose between solid and stranded? What are the types of stranding and stranding classes? Find out.
- "Cable Basics 101: Conductors" Video - Watch this video for an overview of conductors, common materials, stranding options, and more.
Insulation and Jacketing
- Insulation Materials - View common insulation materials, and learn about some of their defining characteristics.
- Tape Insulation and Tape Cable Jackets - What are tape insulation and tape jackets? What types are available? Get answers here.
- Thermoset vs. Thermoplastic Insulation and Jacketing - Learn about thermoset and thermoplastic materials, and the benefits and disadvantages of each.
- "Cable Basics 104: Insulation and Jacketing" Video - Watch this video for an overview of insulators, jacketing, including common insulation materials with their advantages and disadvantages.
Shielding and Armor
- All About Shielding - The purpose of shielding, materials, and types (braid, spiral, foil), and shielding terms are all covered in this article.
- All About Armor - Learn about the uses of cable armor and common armor materials, and see the differences between cable armor and shielding.
- "Cable Basics 105: Shielding and Armor" Video - Watch this video for an overview of shielding and armor, including common materials and construction types.
Additional Custom Cable Resources
- Value-Added Services - Get wire and cable the way you need it with identification, installation, special packaging, and inventory management solutions from Allied.
- "Spotlight On: Value-Added Services" Video - Watch this video for an overview of some of our most popular customization services.
- Standards Organizations - Custom cable can be engineered to meet industry standards, such as UL, CSA, CE, and more. Browse descriptions of popular standards organizations.
If you have any questions or would like an Allied rep to help you engineer a custom cable, please email [email protected] or call 800-472-4655 to discuss your cable requirements.
Remember, you don't have to be an expert in wire and cable to get a custom solution that meets your needs - that's what we're here for!
Top 4 Ways Custom Cable Can Save You Money
A common misconception of custom cables is that they are expensive. However, they are often extremely affordable and can help save money in a number of ways:
1. Ordering custom cables minimize replacement costs.
The off-the-shelf cable may not have the longevity required for applications in rigorous environments. Custom cables can be designed to withstand environmental challenges and with performance, parameters to ensure longer life. Custom cables can help avoid costly downtime caused by stock cable failures, limit replacement cable purchases, and save on labor required for repairs or new installations.
2. Rather than buying multiple cables, a single composite cable can be used for easier installation.
Composite cables save time, space, and money. With composite cables, different gauge sizes and constructions can be combined under one jacket, providing multiple services from just one cable.
3. Designing a custom cable can help take advantage of lower minimums and have a faster turnaround time.
If a project does not require a lot of cables, factory minimums can be far out of reach. Allied Wire Cable has one of the lowest order minimums in the industry-- just 100 feet for most builds. Our short lead times can save production time that would otherwise be wasted on waiting on cable deliveries.
4. Custom cables ensure that all needed attributes are present, without paying for costly and unnecessary extras.
Not only do custom cables guarantee any required specifications, but they can exclude any attributes that make similar cables expensive. Each application is unique, and may not need attributes included in standard cables. With custom cable, the construction is tailored to suit particular needs, so there’s never a need to worry about paying for unnecessary materials.
Custom cables from Allied Wire and Cable are guaranteed to work more efficiently and last longer than off-the-shelf options for most applications. With Allied Wire and Cables short lead times and low minimums, time and money can be saved on replacement parts and labor, making them a practical option even for small runs.
See how Allied Wire and Cable can save you money with custom cable. Email [email protected] or call 800-472-4655 to speak with a rep today!
Small Changes Make a Big Difference
"I wish this cable was just a little more flexible."
"It works, but it would last longer if it had a tougher jacket."
"This cable would be perfect if it had a different color code."
We hear these kinds of things from project engineers all the time. Often, off-the-shelf cables are chosen for their convenience, even though a slightly different combination of traits or attributes could better fit the needs of an application.
The problem with off-the-shelf products is that they are designed to meet the requirements of most applications, but not work perfectly in every application. It is only natural that many companies and applications could benefit from certain, relatively small changes to a cable design.
Fortunately, not all custom cable needs to be built from the ground up. If altering a certain aspect of the cable would make it a better fit for you, just let us know! Allied can do everything from adding a braid, to switching out a jacket material. If you need a more flexible version of a cable or just a non-standard gauge size, we can do that too.
Other times, changes have more to do with aesthetics than performance. These days, it is just as important to meet internal requirements and branding needs, as it is to comply with anything else. If you require a different color code, custom dyeing, or your logo and custom print on the jacket, Allied can create a cable to meet your needs.
You may be asking “is it worth ordering a custom cable just for one or two relatively small changes?” The answer is almost always “yes!” Custom cables are generally very affordable, and a viable option whether you need a small amount of material, or a large run.
Altering just one or two aspects of a standard cable is actually very common. One Allied customer in particular orders customized STJ cable on a regular basis. It is purchased for engine testing and is therefore used, altered, and reordered often. At certain points, we have done everything from changing the gauge size to increasing stranding for a more flexible version and even changing the color code.
Because the cables were part of the company’s product testing, our customer had no use for large amounts of each cable design. We realize that not everyone needs thousands of feet of their custom cable and that most can’t afford to wait a long time to get it from a factory. That’s why Allied offers small minimums and short lead times, making custom cable a realistic choice for all of our customers.
If you are settling for an off-the-shelf cable that could be altered to more exactly meet the needs of your application, call Allied at 800-472-4655 today to speak with one of our custom cable experts. We will work with you to ensure that you get the ideal cable for your application, and your quote is absolutely free.
Custom Cable Design Center
Ready to create your custom cable? Use one of our custom cable design forms. Our simple custom cable manufacturer form is available for projects that do not require extreme detail or if you just wish to inquire about a cable with certain specs. Our Create-a-Cable form is a detailed form that walks you through your requirements and specifications step-by-step. Don't worry if you don't know all of the information yet. Our Allied representatives will help you figure out the details. If you already have a cable drawing or spec sheet, there is also an option to send us the file, instead of filling out the design form.
Custom cables are Allied's specialty.
Allied is a leader in custom cable manufacturing, custom-designed cables, and special wire construction. If a standard cable won't work for your application, we can design a cable customized to match your exact specifications. Whether you need a custom coaxial cable, special power cables, or a completely new cable designed from scratch, we can provide a value-added custom cable service to fit your needs.
What are your custom cable requirements?
If you have existing drawings or specs, click on the orange box (left) to submit your materials and bypass the form below.
For more complicated custom cables that are not covered on this page, please call one of our design experts at 800-472-4655.