What is Xtra Guard Cable?
Xtra-Guard Performance Cable, manufactured by Alpha Wire, is built to perform in extreme conditions. These cables offer reliable performance in many applications, from automotive to wind power.
The Xtra-Guard Cable series features six versions, each offering a customized solution for different applications. Xtra Guard 1 is Alpha Wire’s High-Performance Cable, also known as Xtra-Guard HP. Alpha Xtra-Guard 1 is best known for its high performance in general purpose applications.
Alpha Xtra Guard 1 Cable is manufactured in several performance grades, offering the option to customize each cable to your needs. These cables are generally available with 2-80 conductors configured as single conductors or in pairs, in sizes 28-14 AWG. All conductors are stranded for extra flexibility. There are many construction features that make this cable popular:
- Premium grade PVC insulation and jacket for easier cable routing in small spaces
- Insulation and jacket can be easily stripped (thanks to a nylon ripcord)
- Jackets are available in a range of long-lasting colors for easy identification, safety measures, and for matching a system
- Stranded, Tinned Copper Conductors are color-coded
- Shielding options consist of unshielded, foil shielded, or a Supra-Shield foil/braid
- Supra-Shield is exclusive to Alpha and features a combination of aluminum, polyester, and aluminum foil and a tinned copper braid shield with tight 75% coverage
- Cable has exceptional protection against EMI interference when Supra-Shield is specified
This high-performance cable is designed for general purpose applications, including high temperature, low temperature, UV light, oil/water/chemical, and abrasion-resistant applications. This cable provides resistance to oils per UL Oil Res I and Class 43. More specific applications include:
- High technology applications in controlled environments
- Medical electronics
- Point-of-sale equipment
- Computer peripherals
- Industrial process controls
Xtra Guard 1 is designed for use in ambient temperatures up to 105°C, with voltage-dependent on the conductor and shield. The cable passes the UL-VW-1, UL 1685, and CSA FT-4 Flame Tests.
For more information, and to see full specs on the Alpha Xtra Guard 1 cable, you can visit our Alpha Xtra-Guard 1 Cable page.