Allied Wire and Cable Exporting Tools and Policies | LCL/CL Freight Information
Any order totaling $5,000 or more will be shipped free of freight charges to most U.S. domestic ports. If the order does not meet the $5,000 minimum, due to variables connected with international shipping, Allied Wire and Cable will be able to supply only an estimated freight cost at the time of order to the requested domestic port. If the order does not meet the $5,000 minimum to qualify for the free freight option, the actual final cost cannot be given until the time of shipment.
All customers have the ability to supply a carrier of choice. If you choose to supply a carrier, Allied Wire and Cable can prepare your shipment for pickup or ship to your freight forwarder or port of your choice.
Step 1: Calculate Your Dims
- Until the order is packaged for shipment, Allied Wire and Cable can only estimate its dimensions. Use our Reel Capacity Calculator to determine the approximate reel size for each wire or cable you are ordering. Enter the outside diameter (OD) of your wire or cable in the field provided to view multiple length/reel/weight options in imperial (U.S. standard) and metric values.
- Knowing reel sizes may help figure out what box size your shipment will fit in as well as the shipping method.
- Use our Reel Capacity Calculator to estimate freight costs.
Step 2: Determine Shipment Size
- Use Allied Wire and Cable’s packaging chart (see Boxes to Pallets Ratio) to figure out what size box your reel will fit into and the number of boxes you will need for your total shipment.
- Reels that are too big to fit in a box will need to ship on their own or in a stackable method as shown in Allied Wire and Cable’s “How We Ship” section.
Step 3: Decide on and Select Incoterms
- Select Incoterms to determine financial responsibility and transfer of risk.
Step 4: Classify Commodity being Shipped
Step 5: Determine Shipping Method for Freight Shipments
Freight shipments are usually larger shipments of multiple packages or large single items that are secured to a pallet. Common international carriers such as FedEx, UPS, and DHL handle these shipments. Freight forwarders specializing in international freight shipments such as Concordia, DSV, Green Worldwide, and Kuehne + Nagel can also handle these shipments.
- Multiple services—including air, ocean, limited expedited—are available.
- Door-to-port of import is preferred, enabling expedited quote times.
- Door-to-port of export is optimal, offering domestic freight quotes and the fastest quote returns.
Step 6: Determine Cost for Freight Shipments
- Premium asset-based carrier air freight: UPS, FedEx, or DHL
- Freight Forwarders: Concordia, DSV, Green Worldwide, and Kuehne + Nagel
Contact for rate quote with shipment data:
- Origin, destination, dims, commodity value, and HTS code(s).
Select service required:
- Standard, expedited, or priority.
Step 7: Prepare Documentation
- The final destination will determine what documentation is required.
- AES filing is required for all international shipments totaling more than $2,500 (excluding Canada).
- Examples of standard documentation:
- Packing slip
- Commercial invoice
- NAFTA or applicable trade agreement form
- Electronic export information - AES/EIN required for all International shipments totaling more than $2,500 (excluding Canada).
- Country of Origin (CoO)
- Bill of Lading (BOL)
- Customs Brokerage:
- If you do not have a designated customs broker, the shipping process will be extended. Allied Wire and Cable can provide customer brokerage, but additional costs will apply.
Step 8: Schedule shipment
- Contact the selected carrier and arrange for shipment to be picked up.
Exporting Tools and Policies - Parcel Shipping & Cost Information
Parcel shipments are usually smaller shipments consisting of one or more packages not on a pallet. Common carriers for international parcel shipments include FedEx, UPS, and DHL.
- Individual boxes and reels must weigh less than 150 pounds (68 kilograms).
- Multiple services—including standard, expedited, and overnight—are available.
- Same-day pickup is usually available.
- Door-to-door service.
- Allied Wire & Cable offers 15 percent off FedEx list rates.
Parcel shipments: door to door
- Visit the carrier website (UPS, FedEx, or DHL) and enter the following shipment data: origin, destination, dims, commodity value, and HTS code(s). Select the service desired: standard, expedited, or priority.
Boxes to Pallets Ratio
48 x 42 x 48
48 x 42 x 60
|Box Size||Configuration||Total Boxes||Configuration||Total Boxes|
|8" x 8" x 9"||4 x 5 x 4||80||4 x 5 x 5||100|
|12" x 12" x 11"||3 x 3 x 4||36||3 x 3 x 5||45|
|14" x 14" x 13"||3 x 3 x 3||27||3 x 3 x 4||36|
|16" x 16" x 16"||2 x 3 x 2||12||2 x 3 x 3||18|
|Reel Size||8" x 8" x 9"||12" x 12" x 11"||14" x 14" x 13"||16" x 16" x 16"|
|6 x 2||4||12||25||40||Reels per box|
|6 x 4||2||8||10||20|
|6 x 6||1||4||10||14|
|10 x 4||2||3||6|
|10 x 6||1||2||3|