What is M24643?
The M24643 Cable Specification covers low smoke halogen-free electrical cable suitable for use in Navy shipboard applications. The M24643 Shipboard Cable is offered in a variety of constructions, including watertight, non-watertight, armored, unarmored, and shielded or unshielded. Parts are available with maximum temperature ratings from 90°C to 150°C, and voltage ratings from 300 to 1000 volts, as specified in the MIL-DTL-24643 slant sheets.
By breaking down the part numbers, you can learn a lot about these cables. M24643 part numbers can be broken down into five sections:
- Federal Specification— Each part number begins with “M24643,” showing that the part follows MIL-DTL-24643 specifications.
- Specification Sheet Number— Every part number is followed by a backslash and number, indicating the cable’s slant sheet, where you can find detailed information such as the ratings and materials used for that particular construction.
- Dash Number— Within each spec sheet, part numbers can become even more refined. The dash number follows the slant sheet number and is a reference to a variation of the cable with very specific measurements and performance parameters. Generally, you would look for the slant sheet and type of cable you are interested in, and then delve deeper into the dash numbers only once you are sure the main part specifications meet your needs.
- Armoring— “A” is for armored shipboard cable, and “U” is for “unarmored” cable.
- Shielding— “O” stands for an overall shield, “D” is for a double overall shield, and “N” is for not shielded” cable.
Example breakdown of M24643/5-01UN
By looking at the part number, we can tell it follows the M24643 federal specification, its specification sheet number is 5, and the dash number is 01. The U indicates that the cable is unarmored, and the N shows that the cable is unshielded. Now that you understand the different elements of the part number, you can tell a lot more about the cable with just one glance.
M24643 LSZH Shipboard Cable is ideal for power, lighting, control, communications, instrumentation, and electronic applications.
For more information on M24643, or to get a quote, visit our online cable catalog.