What is MIL-DTL-24640?
The MIL-DTL-24640 Cable Specification covers lightweight, low smoke, electrical cables suitable for use in Navy shipboard applications. The M24640 Shipboard Cable is offered in a variety of constructions, including watertight, watertight with circuit integrity, and non-watertight and shielded or unshielded.
Parts are available with temperature ratings from -20° C to 105° C with a voltage rating of up to 600 volts. The conductors in this cable also come in 20 AWG or 26 AWG and can have anywhere from two conductors to multiple conductors.
Once you are able to break down the part numbers you can become an expert and learn almost all there is to know about these cables. M24640 part numbers can be broken down into five sections:
- Federal Specifications: Each part number begins with “M24640,” showing that the part follows MIL-DTL-24640 specifications.
- Specification Sheet Number: Every part number is followed by a backslash and number, indicating the cable’s slant sheet. This is where you can find detailed information such as the ratings and materials used for that particular construction.
- Dash Number: With each spec sheet, part numbers can become even more specific. The dash number follows the slant sheet number and is a reference to a variation of the cable with very specific measurements and performance capabilities. Most of the time, you should look for the slant sheet and the type of cable you are interested in, and then delve deeper into the dash numbers once you confirm that the main part specs meet your needs.
- Armoring: “A” is for armored shipboard cable, and “U” is for unarmored cable.
- Shielding: “O” stands for an overall shield, “D” is for a double overall shield, and “N” is for not shielded or blank cable.
Let’s break down M24640/1-01UN. By looking at the part number, we can tell it follows the M24640 federal specification, its specification sheet number is 1 and the dash number is 01. The U indicates that the cable is unarmored, and the N shows that the cable is unshielded.
Now you will know how to break down these cables to understand what they are made of. M24640 Shipboard Cable is ideal for low power, lighting, control, communications, instrumentation, and electronic applications. For more information on M24620, or to get a quote, visit our online cable catalog.